Planning to operate the Jerusalem Light Railway Project
Through its subsidiary Connex Israel, Veolia was one of the companies in the CityPass consortium, contracted to operate the light rail project in Jerusalem, designed to connect the city of Jerusalem with the illegal settlements around it. Veolia unexpectedly sold to an Israeli company (the Dan Bus Company) 49% of its shares in CityPass, the French-Israeli joint venture company that holds the construction contract with the State of Israel for the light rail project. After five years, the Israeli company will purchase the remaining 51% shares. Veolia’s sale was attributed by Palestinian officials and activists to their boycott and lobbying efforts. Veolia is still set to operate the tramway once it is built (see here, here, and here). Veolia will play a key role in Israel’s attempt to make its illegal annexation of Palestinian East Jerusalem irreversible. Because of this role in occupation, Veolia has lost many contracts, including the right to bid on this $1.6 billion one in London.
Serving Jewish-only settlements
Through its subsidiary, Veolia Environmental Services Israel (which has bought T.M.M. Integrated Recycling Services), Veolia owns and operates the Tovlan Landfill in the occupied Jordan Valley, using captured Palestinian natural and land resources for the needs of Israeli settlements.
Offering bus services on Apartheid Road 443
Veolia’s subsidiary, Connex also operates regular bus services to Israeli settlements in the West Bank, including Beit Horon and Givat Ze’ev along road 443, which is an apartheid road. Road 443 was built on expropriated Palestinian land, and has been unavailable to Palestinian use, despite a ruling from the Israeli Supreme Court. Israel opened the route for Palestinians in May 2010, but does not allow Palestinians to get off in Jerusalem nor Ramallah, making a “farce” of the court’s ruling.
Offering segregated bus services
Veolia Transport operates a gender-segregated bus service 322 from Tel Aviv to Ashdod: Women enter through the rear of the vehicle and the men from the front. They cannot touch each other or sit next to one another. In some buses, a thick blanket is hung in the middle of the bus between the two sexes.
Where is Veolia?
- Global headquarters: 36-38 avenue Kléber, 75116 Paris, France.
- Shareholder meetings are held annually in Paris, France in early May.
- Veolia has hundreds of operations in North-America. See interactive map here.
- North-American headquarters: 700 Butterfield Road, Ste. 201 Lombard, IL 60148
- Veolia operates Boston commuter rail, the South Florida Tri-Rail (Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach), and the Los Angeles Metrolink.